LCPS Launches District-Wide Balanced Calendar | Las Cruces Newsletter
By Mike Cook
Las Cruces Public Schools begins the 2022-23 school year on Wednesday, July 20, as the school district transitions to a year-round school calendar that adds 10 instructional days, reduces summer vacation and adds a two-week autumn intercession.
Kindergarten, sixth and ninth graders return to class on July 20. All other students return on July 21.
The LCPS school board decided to adopt year-round schooling earlier this year to improve student performance, said Kelly Jameson, LCPS public information officer.
“We owe it to our kids to try something different,” Jameson said. “This is a solution that experts in the field have deemed appropriate.”
Jameson said LCPS decided to adopt the year-round school this year because state funding was available.
“The board thought it was about time,” Jameson said.
Through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) program, all LCPS elementary and middle school students will receive free breakfasts and lunches during the 2022-23 school year, said Brigitte Zigelhofer, LCPS Community Liaison Officer. She said the LCPS has requested CEP funding for all secondary schools. CEP is a fee-free meal service option for school districts in low-income areas.
Zigelhofer and Jameson said LCPS will continue to focus on school safety in the new school year.
The LCPS website includes a message from Amy Himelright, director of mental health and school counseling for the district. Himelright notably addresses the May 24, 2022 shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, which claimed the lives of 19 students and two teachers and injured 17 others.
“When teachers and parents talk about safety measures and practice things like safety drills, doing so with calm, confidence and skill also mitigates negative outcomes for children,” Himelright said on the website. “We can send a message to our young people that we are going to protect them, they are not helpless, and there are things like situational awareness, knowing where to go and how to react in a crisis, and keeping a line of open communication with people you trust. adults, can all be under their control and can keep them safe.
Here are the highlights of the 2022-23 LCPS schedule:
- Wednesday July 20 and Thursday July 21: students return to class
- Monday August 22: No school (educator planning)
- August 29-Sept. 2: Parent-teacher meetings
- Friday, September 2: No School (parent-teacher conferences)
- Monday September 5: no school (Labour Day)
- Sept. 26-Oct. 7: No school (autumn vacation)
- Monday, November 7: No school (educator planning)
- Tuesday 8 November: election day; distance learning, K-12
- Nov. 21-25: Thanksgiving holiday
- 19 Dec-Jan 4: No school (winter vacation)
- Thursday, January 5: start of the spring semester
- Monday, January 16: No school (Martin Luther King Jr. holiday)
- Thursday February 16: no school, grades 9-12 only (planning for next stage)
- Friday, February 17: No school, all levels (parent-teacher conferences)
- Monday, February 20: No school (Presidents’ Day)
- March 13-24: No school (spring break)
- Thursday, April 6: No school (educational planning)
- April 7-10: no school (spring break)
- Friday, May 19: High School Graduation Ceremony: 9:00 a.m.: Las Cruces High School, 1:30 p.m.: Arrowhead Park Early College High School, 6:00 p.m.: Centennial High School
- Saturday, May 20: High School Graduation Ceremony: 9 a.m.: Organ Mountain High School, 1:30 p.m.: Rio Grande Preparatory Institute; 6 p.m.: Mayfield High School
- Monday, May 29: No school (Memorial Day)
- Thursday, June 1: Last day of the school year for kindergarten, sixth and ninth grades
- Friday, June 2: Last day of school for students in grades 1-5, 7-8, and 10-11.
Arrowhead Park Early College High School
Arrowhead Park Early College High School and Arrowhead Park Medical Academy operate on a separate schedule. Their 2022 summer session began on July 5. Visit www.lcps.net/page/calendars-handbooks-school-hours and click on “2022-23 APECHS and APMA Calendar”.
Board of Education
For more information on board meetings, member biographies and LCPS policies, visit www.lcps.net, click “Menu” and scroll down to “Board of Ed”. There is a link at www.lcps.net/page/board-documents to watch live board meetings online.
The commission holds working sessions from 4 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month. Regular board meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month. The board meets at the Karen M. Trujillo Administration Building, 505 S. Main St., Suite 249.
LCPS has nearly 25,000 students in 40 schools in the city of Las Cruces, the town of Mesilla, the village of Doña Ana and White Sands Missile Range. The district has approximately 3,200 employees. LCPS was established on January 1, 1954.
LCPS application and more information
The new LCPS website is www.lcps.net. The main phone number for LCPS is 575-527-5800.
Download the LCPS app on Android: https://bit.ly/3z1L88X or iPhone: https://apple.co/3BYAOAh.
Find 2022-23 calendars, school hours, the LCPS Student and Family Handbook in English and Spanish, and links to individual schools at www.lcps.net/page/calendars-handbooks- school-hours.